Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Underbelly

Underbelly is sooooooo good. I love true crime - reading about it, watching it - and this take on the Melbourne gangland killings has not disappointed.

I think I'll always love Blue Murder more, because it's such a well-known Sydney story. But Underbelly resonates because it didn't happen that long ago.

It's interesting to watch a show like this when you know what's going to happen. Tonight's episode featured the notorious murders of Jason Moran and his associate in front of his kids at a junior AFL match. It was a brilliant episode, and knowing the outcome didn't ruin it at all.

I do have one quibble with Underbelly - something that makes it almost perfect TV, but not quite. The problem is the music. Tonight's episode, for example, covered events of 2003. It featured a long sequence set to the beautiful song "Don't Fight It" by The Panics, which was released in 2007. No denying that's a great song, but would it have killed them to include music to match the period the show's set in? Although Cold Case isn't one of my favourite shows, I've always thought its biggest strength was that it features music from the year in question. I think this same attention to detail would've made Underbelly brilliant.

I know, I'm so picky! What can I say, I'm a perfectionist...

1 comment:

Dragonfly said...

As am I...
I wasn't too used about Underbelly but know I wouldn't mind watching it....